Welcome

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day



In 1775, the people in New England (America) began fighting the British for independence. On July 2, 1776, Congress secretly voted for independence from Great Britain. The Declaration of Independence was published two days later on July 4, 1776. The actual first reading in public of the Declaration of Independence was held on July 8, 1776. The Delegates finally began to sign the Declaration of Independence on August 2, 1776.


For so many people, Independence Day is an extra day you get off from work, go see a parade, have a family picnic/cookout, and get to see fireworks.  I take part in all of these things every year. 

But…I also remember what the actual point of the holiday is.  I remember all the lives lost for my freedom.  I remember all the sacrifices people have made so that I can enjoy the freedoms and rights that I have today.  Do I make a point of remembering and giving thanks only because I come from a military family?  Sometimes, I think that is exactly why. 

Every day people from other nations come to our country so that they might enjoy the same freedoms that we have fought for.  What our soldiers died for.  I have found that so many people I talk to about the 4th of July see only food and the lazy day.  Ask some of the children around you and see what they say the holiday is for.  You will be surprised, no, you will be shocked to learn that most of the children and a lot of the adults forget what Independence day means.  How sad is that?

So to all American's I give a heartfelt and sincere:



So what does the 4th of July mean to you?

ctny

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,
    You are absolutely right. It only takes a moment to remember those that have made and those that help keep our country 'Independent.'
    Thanks for reminding us all.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete