Welcome

Monday, July 28, 2014

Technology Overload

Crazy busy day….I’m on the tail end of my horror WIP and for some reason it won’t let me think about any thing else.  Which means, I have nothing to blog about today.  So I’m going to discuss my current peeve, which is:  Technology.

Oh we all love it.  Our phones, our computers, our tablets.  We can’t go a moment without looking at them, checking the mail, playing our games, texting, the list goes on and on and on.  I went to see the movie, Lucy this past weekend.  No, this is not a review of the movie.  There was one scene (oh stop, I’m not giving anything away) where Lucy looks out over the city and sees blue vertical lines going from the ground to the sky, representing all the people using phones and such.  The lines were a forest, and you couldn’t see anything but them.  It stuck with me.  It’s bugged me the last few days.

Why can we not go a moment without our technology?  I hate, hate, hate, watching a show or movie or whatever, with someone that is on their phone. I spend the whole time annoyed with them as they are constantly asking, “What was that?  Who did they see?  What happened?  Who is that guy?”  Oh my gosh, it drives me insane!  Put down your flipping phone and watch the movie, or…don’t understand what is going on.  Your choice, but leave me alone so that I can enjoy the show.  Geez!

I drive home and can’t even tell you, how many people I see on their phones.  I don’t even me talking.  Yes, that too, but it’s texting, and mail, and music and who knows what all else.  There are less people just driving happily along than there are people on their technology.  No wonder its so unsafe out there anymore.  Oh and don’t think that lets our police officers off the hook either.  They have computers front and center in their cars.  They are paying more attention to those screens than they are on the road in front of them.  Don’t believe me?  Do a little research of your local city and see how many distracted driver accidents are caused by our police.  They don’t get charged though…just saying.

I am not going to pretend that I don’t have my own moments.  In fact the last few days, I have been checking my email and refreshing it every 5 minutes as I waited for an email (okay it wasn’t quite that bad, but it felt like it sometimes). It finally arrived today, at 1:30 p.m.  Now I can go back to normal and just put the phone away. 

Is this just me?  Seriously, is it?



2 comments:

  1. No, Courtney, it's not just you! I feel the same way, especially since I write for kids 10-14, and find that mos tof them spend their free time playing games or getting involved in their own "social media'" sites on their phones, computers, iPads, iPods, tablets, and whatever else electronic they can get their parents to buy for them. Whew! that was a long sentence. But you get my meaning, I hope! Read a book? Not unless it's as exciting as the latest robotic/alien invasion game or movie. And I feel the same about people walking around talking on their cell phones, on the streets, in the markets, etc. I've escaped being hit 3 times in the last 16 months, on the freeway, by some idiot coming onto the freeway while talking or maybe texting on her cell. HER cell...the women drives up here are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Were you talking about me? You know I went to my sent folder and looked at the time. Haha!
    There is nothing worse than spending time with someone who is constantly on their phone. Just like that meme, we are becoming a nation of zombies shuffling around with our heads down looking at our phones. We are addicted to technology.
    I agree with you about drivers, and yes, the police around here are also talking on their cell phones while driving!
    Anyway, good luck on your WIP!

    ReplyDelete