I don't know about everyone else, but I find it extremely hard to fit in all the things I want to do, within all the things that I have to do. The have list is astounding:
1. Wake up. (Yes, some days this is very hard for me the night owl)
2. Work a full time job. (No, I am not a full time writer...yet. I'm working on it, but as of right now, nope)
3. Children. (I don't actually mind all the things I do for and with my children, this makes the list for time consumption only)
4. Household chores. (I am aware that these can be put on a back burner, but I am not one that can do that. I have to pick up and straighten daily. If I don't it rages continually through my brain and refuses to allow me any peace of mind. When I am fighting with myself over a load of laundry that needs done, I can't exactly think or complete anything else.)
5. Outside chores. (See number 4)
6. Unexpected life events. (We all have these. Mom is sick. Dog died. Snake in the basement. Regardless of the event, they tend to be time consuming)
7. Etc. etc. etc. (In fact I could go on and on with this list, but you get the idea)
Then you have the list of really want to do things which surprisingly is not all that large and yet, I struggle to fit them within my days.
1. Write or work on my current projects. (Just an hour is all I really want a day. Just one measly hour. Is that too much to ask? Some days? Heck yeah.)
2. Read a book. (I miss all the books I want to read. I used to be able to squeeze in a book or two or five within a weeks time. Yeah, not so much anymore. I'm lucky to read a book a week)
3. Lay out in the sunshine watching the bunnies or the birds or the butterflies flit around. (I'm kinda like superman in that I need the sun to recharge. When I get so busy that I can't get outside into the sun I get grouchy and sad. Winters are hard for that very reason.)
4. Watch TV. (I don't watch much TV anymore. I try to watch Dance Mom's on Tuesdays, but other than that, esp. right now in the mid June, I struggle to find veg-out time as much as I struggle to find writing time)
5. Go for a walk. (I try very hard to do this during my lunch breaks in the spring-fall. It's not happening much anymore. I'm working through lunch. I'm running five thousand and one errands. Who has time for a lovely summer walk?)
That's it. Doesn't seem like all that much does it? Maybe things will settle down. Most likely they won't. Until then, I will strive to get in a bit of me time as much as possible. I am a happier Courtney when I do.
What hits your lists, both must do and want to do. Have you found ways to work out a decent balance? Share...