Welcome

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Time Management

First, be sure to check out the new interview I completed at: HERE  You could win a free autographed book of Shadow Dancer from yours truly.  Check it out, post a comment, etc, etc and you are good to go. 


Moving on.  I worked very hard this week to keep myself organized and working toward my writing goals.  I tried to stay off the on-line boards.  I failed at this miserably.  I popped in (just for a second of course) a time or two…or three….to check out what was new and going on, on not one, but two writer’s boards.  Not mentioning any names here…. but all I can say is, is that if people wouldn’t have such interesting postings and threads that I want to follow, this would not be a problem. 

My next step was to stop checking my email hourly.  I did pretty well at this, until it got to be around 3:00 p.m. Then I was checking every 15 minutes or so just out of shear boredom with my day.  Plus my new cell has a great app that tells you when new mail comes in, so now I find myself checking that all the time too.  *…sigh* 

Lastly, I sat myself down every single day to get some writing done.  This goal I reached. I am making headway on my story that I am working on for an upcoming anthology.  Finally!  I also put out one re-write submission.  Woo Hoo. 

So all in all, the week although not perfect, shows a bit of progress.  Next week will be even better.  How was your week?  Did you accomplish anything on your list?

4 comments:

  1. I'm having an awful time with time management these days. All my time is being spent reading people's blogs, joining and trying to promote myself (and of course your author interview). I am finding no time left for writing.

    I guess I'm going to have to set aside just one or two days a week for that and the rest I need to save for writing a few words! As far as checking my emails hourly... forget that. I am addicted. I worked in Human Resources for 8 years and I got programmed to check my email everytime I saw one come through. I hate not at least checking it out to see if it's something I need to respond to right away. If it isnt, I mark it as unread and come back to it later. I dont think I'll ever be able to change that habit, darnit!! But it does keep me very organized at work and people do appreciate my quick replys.

    Now, I simply must get out of blogging and checking out websites today and get some real work done!! Thanks for reminding me that I need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to write 1,000 words before I go on the internet. I've been mostly good about this - only cheated the day I got my cover for Horse Charmer. I decided to have loose goals this year and the 1,000 words a day is my most concrete one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goal this week is to come up with some more short stories. I usually write them in packs and then have a pile to submit over time. But I eventually run out, and that's where I am. I actually drafted two stories and have ideas for three more, so not too bad.

    I also want to decide what promotional materials I'll be ordering for the release of my picture book, MAY THE BEST DOG WIN. Still working on that goal! Ooh, it's Friday, isn't it? This goal may have to become next week's goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to know!thanks for sharing your thoughts. im also awful with time management...but Ive learned some effective strategies from the blogs i visit...one effective method is the "to-do list" =)

    ReplyDelete