Happy Halloween! I happen to LOVE Halloween. It’s the costumes, it’s the fun, and of course, it’s the CANDY! But I am a bit of a Grinch this year for some odd reason. We always hear about the commercialization of Christmas and Easter but what about Halloween? I did some research and here are a few fun facts for all you Halloween’ers out there.
1. Halloween is the 6th most popular holiday in the U.S.A.
2. According to Hallmark, 20 million Halloween cards will be sent out this year.
3. There will be an estimated 90 million pounds of chocolate sold.
4. There will be an estimated 35 million pounds of candy corn (seriously?)
5. There will be about 1 BILLION spent on costumes this year.
6. There will be about 1.9 BILLION spent on candy (Oiy!)
7. An estimated 41 million children in the U.S.A. between the ages of 5-14 will go out to beg for treats this year.
8. Older children up to age 17 are still begging candy in the U.S.A.
9. An estimated 6.9 BILLION will be spent on Candy, Costumes, and Decorations this year.
10. That is on average $73.31 spent per child/adult depending on how you look at it.
Commercialization, heck yeah! I don’t even want to research Christmas. Once I started seeing the BILLIONS popping up I about died. But when I stopped to think about it, I began to see how it adds up. I spent the following for Halloween:
1. $11.00 on 4 pumpkins.
2. $42.00 on one Twister (the game) Costume with Go-go Boots.
3. $6.00 on pink leggings to match the costume.
4. $6.00 pumpkin carving kit. ($3 x 2)
I don’t even have to buy candy as we live out in the middle of no-where and don’t get any beggars. I can’t imagine the cost if I had to add in candy to the mix. Plus I am down to only one child that is begging. If I still had 2 then you could just about double this. WOW!
I remember when I was a kid and my mom tossed a sheet over me and cut out eyeholes, or the toilet paper mummy, or the hilly-billy with old flooder pants and an old flannel shirt tied at the waist. Those days of homemade costumes are at an end. Now its fancy schmancy and expensive as all hell. Or slut worthy. I mean have you SEEN some of the costumes? Geez oh Pete, put some clothes on!
Tonight I will be out begging with the best of them. If you see an old lady wrapped up in her wool winter jacket with a pair of Tigger (not TIGER) ears bouncing around the streets, with a Twister girl, that’s probably me.
Be safe and have a great time!