Everyone always sets new goals for the New Year. I have asked and asked around as to what they are and it is a varied and personal lot. Loose weight, stop smoking, publish more, write more. I have put together my list of ten things for the new year. Some are personal goals, some are writing goals. They are as follows:
1. Write at least 15 new marketable stories and submit them all.
2. Publish at least 15 new stories in any form (magazine, anthology, book)
3. Read more. I have been reading less and less lately and I miss it. So I am going to say at least one book a week. That's not all that much. Considering in past years I would read 250 to 300 books a year, 52 should be a cake walk.
4. Spend less time on line. I keep finding that I have less and less time to just write and I think it is because I am spending too much time on-line. So I am going to limit myself to 1-2 hours a day catching up on my emails, boards, and sites, and etc. This does not include research time and other real administrative stuff. This is the play time stuff I am talking about.
5. Take a writing class that focuses on adult writing to add to my YA and children's writing. Can't ever learn too much right? Why not add to my cache.
6. Save more money wise. I am a miser in general, but I think I could add a bit to savings this year.
7. Forgive all the past grudges I have been holding onto. Let it go already. I have already made headway on this one as I was aware this was a goal of mine for the new year and have been trying to find the peace I need.
8. Eat better. I am what I call a flexitarian. What is that? I eat mostly veggies and such but I do have a weakness for bacon and peperoni, and such now and then. I also am a candy-aholic. I want to cut back on the bacon and the candy and try to be more aware of my diet.
9. Get in better shape. I am not talking about losing weight, I am talking about health-wise. I get lazy in winter. I hate the cold and the wind so I pretty much sit on my butt most of the winter long. I dont want to do that this year. I am going to get my butt outside and be more active.
10. Not take everything so seriously. Laugh a bit more, at myself and others and find more joy around me. I am a bit of Pollyanna most days but somethings....not so much. I want to have less of the "not so much" and more of the fun. I can do this. This is one of the easier goals.
I like firm goals. It gives me a bit of balance and something to focus my energy on. Without goals I think I would go stagnant and I dont want that at all. Will I reach them all? Yes. Yes I will.
Did you set yourself goals and resolutions for the new year? What are they? Did you blog about them? If you did post your blog address here so others can check it out.