Welcome

Monday, February 1, 2016

Settling In


We’ve been in our new house a little over three months now.  We’ve settled in pretty much, I’d say.  I, for the most part, do like the new digs.  I am enjoying my new office more than I can say, esp. as there is a door that I can close myself in and the world out.  My husband has been very sweet, and he installed a tv, with cable, and DVD player, so that while I am “supposed” to be working I can also have the back ground noise of the tv.  I can’t use it while I am writing as it’s too distracting, but while painting or while sewing, it’s very nice to have it there. 

I also love, absolutely love, my four seasons room.  It stays nice and warm, thanks to great windows, and the sun is able to shine in whenever it is out.  I have made it through winter so far in much better spirits thanks to that room, I am sure.

This is the first house we have had natural gas.  We have a wonderful fireplace that we can start with the push of a button.  It’s pretty, it’s warm, and it’s clean.  What more can you ask for? 

There are a lot of other things that I like, but I’m not going into them all.  Sadly, there are also several things that I am struggling to get used to.  Coming from the rural environment, I find the neighborhood a lot noisier.  At the old house I could go outside and it was quite.  Aside from the wooded creatures and nature, the silence was very calming.  Now I can hear the cars coming and going from the roads outside the neighborhood.  There is a train somewhere nearby that drives me insane.  It’s not that it’s loud.  In fact, if you are busy doing something you don’t usually hear it, but the moment I want to sit in silence and recoup from the stress of a day, there it is, with it’s horn blowing.  I can’t just go outside and enjoy the quiet now, as there isn’t any.  I hate it.  I have been assured I will get used to the sounds and they will fade to the background like the nature sounds at the other house.  I have to say, I’d much prefer the sound of crickets and squirrels to the cars, and people, and trains, and whatever else there is. 

I also feel cold in my house a lot more.  I don’t know why.  The gauge says it’s 72, but I swear it feels like 62.  We replaced the old gauge with a new one thinking maybe it was faulty.  It’s not.  I don’t like being cold.  I’m finding myself in slipper socks and a jacket in my own home the moment the sun goes down.  What the heck?  I keep thinking I should just turn up the heat, but I don’t want to.  It says it’s 72, which should be plenty warm, right?  Right?

So far though, that’s all I can complain about.  There are things that bug me, like the kitchen counter tops.  I am not a fan of dark granite.  It always looks dirty.  I’m getting used to that.  The house seems to be a bit dusty, but I think that’s due to the vents needing cleaned, which I will look into in the spring.  Mostly though, we are settling in.  I’m content with the move.  The house is lovely.  Seren is happy and making new friends every day.  I’m closer to the office and town and yet aren’t right in the middle of it all. It was a good move.  One we should have done maybe a bit sooner, but better late than never. 


Until we are ready to downsize, I never want to move again.  So what’s next for us?  Well, the tiny dancer was promised a dance room at the new house, as she had to give her’s up from the old.  We are starting the basement and the new dance room, this weekend.  I’m not looking forward to that.  

2 comments:

  1. I think we have it set to 75 here since we are renting and bills are inclusive, and that is good for me, but I'm soft. I still have slipper socks on!

    Good luck starting the basement. *sob*

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're enjoying your new house. I dream of someday having a four seasons room and a designated office! It's so good to hear Seren is adjusting well and meeting new friends. That kid is amazing!

    ReplyDelete