Welcome

Monday, January 20, 2014

Check In

I need one of those signs that says:  Writing in Progress that I can post everywhere in the world.  That way when I am MIA for a bit, they realize I'm not dead, just buried in my fantasy world enjoying the words and the struggle of fiction rather than reality.

That being said:  I'm writing.  I'm having fun with what I am writing.  That's what matters to me anyway.  So if I am short or scarce the next week or so, you will know that I am working hard at getting something new and exciting out into the world.  I'll be back once I surface.  Hopefully at least once a week to say hello and give you and update.

On a side note, have you ever read the book, Chasing Lincoln's Killer, by J. Swanson?  My daughter (age 12) is reading this for her class required reading this quarter.  I like to read the books along with her, so that we are able to talk and discuss it together.  This gives her another point of view besides the schools.  That being said, this book is terrible to read.  It's a book on the events leading up to the assassination of the president and the manhunt that followed to catch the people involved.  This book could be so interesting and fun to read, instead it's a convoluted mess.  On one single page you can change points of view three times, or change dates just as many.  You are back and forth between people and events so fast you don't even have time to digest what is going on.  It's a struggle for me, an educated adult to stay on top of what is going on, how can anyone expect a child to?

Then I get stuck on the reality that this book is published...by a reputable publisher.  How in the hell did that happen?  Did they even read it?  I spend half an hour reading it and I end up with a headache.  All I can say is, it's a good thing I really like history and I know the basic events they are writing about as otherwise, I am not sure I could understand or would even continue reading it.  Maybe I'm being to hard and harsh.  Maybe it's just a style I don't enjoy.  Maybe.

On the good side, my daughter and I have plenty to discuss as we read this book.  Usually it's me explaining what she is reading, but any discussion is good when it comes to books right?  The book also has some great photos, prints, newspapers, and mementos from the day.  I really enjoy poring over them and trying to glean what was meant or what is trying to be portrayed.  That is well worth my time.

Have a great week everyone.



1 comment:

  1. So glad you're back in the "writing groove!" I think that is really great that you read the books right along with your daughter. What a good mom you are! Plus that helps her to understand what she's reading and hopefully she'll learn the benefits of reading. I can't help wonder why the school suggests books that are horribly written for an assignment! Doesn't some adult have to read them first and approve? Makes no sense to me but maybe there is some other reason they recommended that book.

    ReplyDelete