I saw the new Kindle e-reader the other day. I also went over to Barnes and Noble and played with the Nook. I have to say....they are really kinda fun to play with. That still begs the question though, would I use it? Would I get as much out of it as I do a book. Will the flipping of the computer page take me out of the fantasy? Will I miss the smell of the printed pages?
So I thought of a list of reasons to buy it, and there aren't very many:
1. The cost of an e-book is usually $3.99. The cost of print book is around $7.99. So I would save more money on the books I would buy and may in fact be able to buy more books in the long run.
2. I wouldn't have to store any of the books I buy. I also wouldn't have to find them new homes after I have read them if I don't wish to keep them. No heavy bags to drop-off to Goodwill or Half-Prices books.
3. Not having to search through bins in the basement for books as all I would have to do is pull up an index. Save me time, frustration, and energy with just a touch of a screen.
4. No carrying around 4-5 different books in my purse or car or whatever. Just one item to carry.
The list of why not? Is a bit longer, but the highlights are:
1. I would miss the ease of a book. The non-thought page turning. Not having to wait for it to turn on and find the book and the page I want. Just grab, open, and go.
2. I like the smell of a book. The paper, the ink, the dust. I don't know why. It's a thing I have.
3. The cost of a Kindle is $139...the Nook is even more than that.
4. Batteries. I don't need any batteries for my books. None. They never loose power.
So if you have an e-reader, what are your thoughts of them? Are they as great as they appear? What are your own pro's and con's. I would love to know as I still am contemplating the purchase. Esp. with Christmas right around the corner...19 days ya'll.