Welcome

Monday, October 17, 2016

Indian Summer

What is Indian Summer?  I heard about it all the time growing up and in my head I thought it had something to do with when the Native American’s had their summer.  The minds of children…what can I really say?  Ask me sometime what I thought the saying "making ends meet" really meant.  Hint:  I thought the word was MEAT not MEET.  Ha!

What the actual meaning of Indian Summer is: A period of unusually dry and warm weather in the autumn.  But it also can mean a period of happiness and success occurring late in life.  For me, I’ll take the warm weather.  In Ohio, I swear that every year, the first day of fall hits and it goes from 90 degrees to 50 degrees overnight and from dry and hot to cold and damp.  I am not a fan of this time of year, as most of my regulars will know. 

How am I staving off the effects of the coming winter?  Well, this lovely Indian Summer is doing wonders without much effort from me. I also got a few bright purple mums to bring life to a dying garden.  I hope they last a good long while.  They make me smile every time I walk passed them.  I am adding more festive scents to my warmers so that the house smells of apples and cinnamon and pumpkins and spice.  That at least gets me thinking along the lines of coming events that make me happy.  That helps a lot.  Other than that, not much I can do about the changing seasons. 

I know so many people, including the tiny dancer (the traitor) that love this time of year.  It’s the hoodies and the bonfires and the falling leaves and the cooler more enjoyable weather for some, and the lack of bugs.  I get it.  I really do.  But for me?  I’ll take the bugs, if I can get the heat.  At least the horror movies are still on. 


Happy Autumn Everyone

4 comments:

  1. Well you know I love fall and the chilly weather. But it's probably because in the south, we rarely get to see it. Today it was 89 degrees with 95% humidity and last week I went swimming 5 times!! It's October people!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be interested to see what type of weather you get the next year. Being in a new environment may change your mind. I doubt it, I think people either like the cold or they don't. I know what category I fall.

      Delete
  2. Since moving to Canada I am just happy if I can see some things growing and weather that stays above 0°. ;-) The woodstove is a major bonus for me this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our gas fireplace has done me wonders too. There is something about a fire...

      Delete