Welcome

Monday, January 18, 2016

Creative Adventures

Being a writer I am always interested in the arts and creative side of other.  I have found that people who have one avenue of artistic ability sometimes have others as well.  I can’t tell you how many people I know that are writers that are also drawing artist as well.  I don’t know if that is due to drawing out their scenes, or the idea that maybe comics/anime would be a good idea to look into.  There are also people that play an instrument that can also write their own music, and/or design album covers.  I mean, wow right?

Well, I can’t draw to save my life.  You need a stick figure?  I’m your girl.  I suck at drawing.  That is not me being coy, I really can’t draw…at all.    

I do make lamp work beads.  But that’s more just for fun and a stress relieving activity.  I sell them now and then on ebay just to clear out when I get too many.  Lately, my grandson has been playing with the ones in my office.  I guess they could be fun to use as marbles or whatever.  Regardless, they aren’t all that creative to me. 

I used to play the flute.  I can still dash off a relatively decent Joy to the World, but that’s about it.  I can hardly read music anymore. Yes, I know that is really sad, but that’s what happens when you stop using something.  You lose it. I still have that flute…maybe I should hunt it down and see what I can accomplish.  Or not…

Lately, though, I have taken back up my painting.  I like to do landscapes (again, I can’t draw), and I had always used acrylics in the past.  This year, I wanted to try my hand at oil painting.  I am pleasantly surprised to say that I don’t completely suck at it.  It is way more work, more clean up, more mess, and more money, but it is actually really fun for me.  Shocked me too, I know.  No, I am not a Picasso…yet.  But I am getting better each time I have an hour to get it all out and paint.  I am still trying to learn the knife.  I swear that sucker is for right-handed people and is lefty adverse, but I am not giving up.  I will tackle that problem, one mountain at a time.  Where is Bob Ross when you need him?  What I wouldn’t give to go to one of his classes just for learning that damn knife. 

Thankfully, you can find him on line.  You have to love the internet.

Why am I painting when I am supposed to be editing?  Well, you will be happy to know that I am almost through the first harsh edit of my next book.  It’s different, and not my usual YA paranormal stuff.  I am not sure what to do with it as of yet, but it’s almost done.   Then I will get back to my next YA Paranormal.  It’s written, but it also needs a good edit.  I have a few in the bank apparently, which is great, as I really am enjoying my painting right now. 

Have a great week! 



3 comments:

  1. Ooh!!! You HAVE to share! I want to see your painting when it's done. AND the beads.
    I've dabbled in all sorts of other ventures, but never became great at any of them. I think all creative people need to create, when we aren't writing, we need some kind of outlet. I took art lessons (still can't draw) I played a fife (I'm rusty on reading music), I DO love crafty things, but like I said, I've never mastered any of them.
    Good luck with your painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We dabbled with all sorts of mediums in college and I gravitated toward advertising as it seemed the best way to go job-wise, but I really enjoyed the wood/metal workshop and making jewelry. There's something immensely satisfying about crafting something with your bare hands. I think I'd like to try woodcarving one day, too.

    I find it interesting that humans either love to destroy or love to create, and sometimes, strangely, both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, me too,I want to see some of your paintings and especially want to see your lamp work beads because I have no idea what those are.

    Besides writing children's books, I'm like Denise. I have a lot that I'm interested in and can do but none that I do all that well. I can play the French horn, piano, do stain glass, cross-stitch, paint and interior decorating. But none of those have I stuck with like the writing. Wonder why as I love them all!

    I think you're right about people who are artists in one way, can do all kinds of other artsy things. But people who don't have it, just don't have it! Or they just aren't interested in trying. But they are probably richer than me because they have other talents that probably bring in a lot more money than any of mine!! LOL But I do have fun and to me, that's most important.

    ReplyDelete