Welcome

Monday, December 9, 2013

December 2013 - Update

December 2013 – Update

You will be happy to know, I was able to complete NANO this year.  However, it was quite the struggle.  I started out writing a romance type of story.  It was going along all right the first week.  The second week, I decided I wasn’t enjoying my Main Character.  By the beginning of the third week, I didn’t like my main character or my main guy character at all.  I realized I was just going with the motions and putting down a story and words.  The writing was horrible, as I didn’t care anymore.  I finished the story out on the 21st, but it only came to 41,990 words.  I didn’t know what to do, as I didn’t want to waste anymore of my time on that crappy book!  Yes, I hated it that much. 

So I read a bit of the rules for Nano and decided to begin a new novel to tack onto the crap one.  But I didn’t start it right away.  I was a bit bummed about how the first story came out and procrastinated.  There is definitely something to be said for connecting with your characters in order to have a good book.  So, I put off beginning.  Then Thanksgiving hit and I didn’t have to time to write.  Finally, the last day of Nano hit and I was still 8,000+ behind and only one day to do it. 

I whined a bit to my family about failing Nano.  I have to say I was a bit surprised by their response.  They said, to finish dinner, then go and write. Do what I am always telling other writers to:  Sit your butt down and just do it.  So, at 7:00 p.m. I sat down in my lovely quiet office, turned on a bit of Fleetwood Mac, and began a new story.  I wrote for an hour, then took a break.  Sometimes it was just to clear my brain a bit, sometimes it was to rock a small baby to gain a moment of peace, and sometimes it was just to snatch a snack or take a hug from my Seren.  At 11:00 p.m. I had 800 more words to go.  My fingers were flying.  The story was spewing from my brain in a flood.  It was great.

At 11:30, I uploaded what I had:  The first crap novel of about 42,000 and the new pretty good start and decent story of 8,000 all totaling 52,020 words.  I made it and I got a banner to prove it.





I am pretty excited about my new story.  Of course after Nano, I didn’t feel like writing at all, so it has stayed set at 8,000+ but I am very happy with this one.  I will get back to it very soon.  I think I deserve a bit of a break, so for the rest of December I will be reading.  I have a load of ebooks on my Kindle that need my attention. 

What will I do with my crap novel?  Trash can it I think.  I will hold it for a while to see if I change my mind, or if I think I can salvage it somehow.  I think Romance just isn’t for me.  There are good moments in it, but all in all, it sucks.

Ctny




4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Don't you just love when your fingers fly across the keyboard as if they have a life of their own? I think you should save the crap book. You could always salvage the good parts for another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, I don't even want to think about it! It really was bad. Sad to admit. The last time I had my fingers flying like that was when I wrote Shadow Dancer. I hope this one turns out as lucky.

      Delete
  2. I'm so proud of you for finishing Nano and starting all over with a story you now like. You rock, girl! I agree with Denise that you should save the Crap book. You never know when an idea might come to you that will fix it right up and you'll turn it into something you love!

    One of the best feelings in the world is when your fingers just keep typing and coming up with ideas. I just love it and keep wondering why they don't behave that way with every story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I haven't trashed it yet. Seems wrong to throw away all those words. Maybe one day I will dust it off and find a way to fix it up for some use.

      I know! I want every story to come that easy.

      Delete